Missoula Marathon Twenty Twenty
May 7, 2020
(For a video version of this announcement, click HERE.)
We thank you for your patience over the last 6 weeks as we have completed our due diligence to determine how the Coronavirus pandemic would affect the race status.
Unfortunately, we are sad to announce that we will be cancelling the Missoula Marathon weekend of events for 2020. This was a very challenging and difficult decision for the Run Wild Missoula Board of Directors and the Missoula Marathon race committee.
- We take great pride in putting on our race and love being a part of the energy and excitement of race weekend.
- We recognize the pride that our community takes in supporting the race and showing off Missoula to thousands of people from across the U.S. and from around the world.
- We know that marathon weekend has a significant economic impact for our local hotels, restaurants, retailers, breweries and other small businesses.
- Race weekend also provides the opportunity to showcase our amazing sponsors.
- And, finally, proceeds from the race allow us to make donations to local organizations who are doing great things in our community.
But we also recognize that we have a larger commitment to the Missoula community. In the current pandemic scenario, we are obligated to consider the health and safety of participants, volunteers, vendors, and community members.
Through stay at home orders and social distancing directives issued by the Governor’s office and local health departments, Montana has done an admirable job in managing the spread of the virus within our state. But, in discussions with our medical director and local health officials, there is serious concern about a potential spike in virus cases in Missoula in the days and weeks following the marathon should the race be held as scheduled.
Those same thoughts and concerns have also been expressed by others in the community, including our volunteers and race committee members. And, as we have now topped 1 million cases in the U.S., it is also reflective of the number of events in Montana and around the country that have been cancelled in May, June, July – and beyond.
Further, there is no timeline, in Montana or elsewhere, suggesting when large group events involving thousands of people such as races and concerts will be allowed to resume.
So, in consideration of the public health of the Missoula community and our participants, we realize that the only responsible action is to cancel the race for 2020.
For currently registered participants, the race cancellation options and details can be found on our website at www.missoulamarathon.org. And, beginning Monday, May 25th, we will accept new registrations from runners and walkers who want to take part in our Virtual Races.
Like you, this is not the outcome we envisioned for the 14th Annual Missoula Marathon. But, we will be back in June, 2021 for Number 15. Until then – Stay Active, Stay Healthy, Stay Safe, and Stay Strong.
Tony Banovich, Race Director