WHEN IS THE 2015 MISSOULA MARATHON?
Marathon weekend will be Friday through Sunday, July 10-12, 2015. The 2015 Missoula Marathon will be on Sunday, July 12, 2015.
There are NO registration refunds or transfers. With that said, we know things can happen and we want to make sure you have a chance to participate in one of our great events. So for those who have registered but cannot participate this year, we offer you the chance to defer to 2015. The cost to defer your registration to 2015 is $20. The deferral link will be live from July 1st-14th. You will NOT be able to defer after July 14th, 2014. Click here to go to the deferral page.
RACE PACKET PICK UP
You MUST pick up your race packet and chip on Saturday, July 12th at the Expo between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. There will be NO packet pick up on race day. You may have a friend pick up your packet for you. For late flights into Missoula, we have made arrangements for a late packet pick up at the Missoula Airport from 5:30p.m.-10p.m. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your packet at the late packet pick up. Only those who send an email will be able to pick up their packet late. Speed up your packet pickup by looking up your bib number in advance: Full Marathon list – Half Marathon list.
PRE-RACE PASTA DINNER
We do not have an official Missoula Marathon pasta dinner. With all the great restaurants in Missoula, we want to give you a chance to experience our city. Visit your Virtual Race Bag, Destination Missoula or Missoula Downtown Association for restaurant ideas.
MISSOULA MARATHON AND HALF MARATHON
Start at 6 a.m. There are NO early start times.
Warm and low humidity. Expect to start off in the mid 50s and end in the high 70s if you finish around noon.
The course is coned and marked very well, but it is open to traffic. There will be volunteers and police officers at most intersections. Please run or walk on the right side of the road unless otherwise directed. Because the course is open to traffic, we discourage music devices. Baby joggers are allowed, but we ask that you start toward the back.
Over the last 10K, the half and full will be split by cones to give you more room. Half Marathon will be run on the right side of cones and Full Marathon will be run on the left side of the cones. Please look for signage.
If you experience medical issues while on the course, please look for a volunteer, bike monitor, or police Officer. There is a fully staffed medical tent at the finish.
There will be no official time for anyone taking longer than seven and a half hours. Aid stations, traffic control, volunteers, etc. will relinquish their posts based upon the 7 1/2 hour completion time.
The course is coned and marked very well, but it is open to traffic. There will be volunteers and police officers at most intersections. Please run or walk on the right side of the road unless otherwise directed.
Because the course is open to traffic, we discourage music devices. Baby joggers are allowed, but we ask that you start towards the back. If you experience medical issues while on the course, please look for a volunteer, bike monitor, or police officer. There is a fully staffed medical tent at the finish. If you have to drop out of the race, let a volunteer at an aid station know and they will arrange for you to be picked up.
There are 15 aid stations for the full marathon and 8 aid stations for the half marathon. They are approximately every 2 miles then every mile during the last 10K. Each aid station will have Gatorade Endurance at the 1st table and water and the 2nd table.
Cliff Shot Gel will be handed out at 3 aid stations. Please check the map to see which aid stations will have gel. There will be two flavors of Cliff Shot Gel: Strawberry (CAFFEINE) and Vanilla (NO CAFFEINE).
There are port-a-potties at each start, the finish, and at every aid station on the course.
• Pre-Race shuttles are for participants wearing bibs only.
• Please check your gear bags promptly upon your arrival at the starting line. Bags left unattended are subject to search and removal.
• Participants will be ushered through the finish chute to the finisher food area provided by the Good Food Store. Participants can wait for other finishers in the food area or at the post-race events in Caras Park. There will be no re-entry into the participant area once finishers exit to Caras Park.
VIRTUAL RACE BAGS
This year the Missoula Marathon is partnering with Virtual Race Bags to further assist our efforts in making our event ‘GREEN’. To view your virtual race bag offers please click here.
You will be given your gear bag at packet pickup. Please make sure your gear bag has your correct race number written on it. Both start lines will have a drop off area and your bag will be transported to the finish area. Please do not leave any valuables in your gear bag. We will only accept the gear bags provided, there will be NO other bags accepted. When you pick up your gear bag at the Expo, will need to write your bib number on your gear bag. Please write it in big numbers.
There is NO parking at either the full or half marathon start. The bus pickup will be at the Adams Center at the University of Montana. This new location will allow us to load more buses at one time. Please click here to see the pickup area map for more info.
COURSE TIME LIMIT
The half and marathon course officially close at 1:30 p.m., a 7.5 hour limit.
We strive to have pacers for the following times in the full marathon: 3:00 (6:52 mi pace), 3:10 (7:14 mi pace), 3:20 (7:37 mi pace), 3:30 (8:00 mi pace), 3:40 (8:23 mi pace), 3:50 (8:46 mi pace), 4:00 (9:09 mi pace), 4:15 (9:43 mi pace), 4:30 (10:17 mi pace), 4:45 (10:52 mi pace), 5:00 (11:26 mi pace). The pacers will wear bright pacers shirts and carry balloons with the pace time written on them. Please remember our pacers are volunteers with their own potential injuries, and they aren’t professional pacers. The pacers will start their watches at the gun, so their time will not be based on the chip time. There are no pacers in the half marathon.
The Missoula Full, Half, and 5K will be chip timed with results posted the night of the race. There will be 8 split mats for the full and 4 split mats for the half located on the course.
There will be an awards ceremony for top 3 overall in the Full, Half and 5k. There will also be top awards for the top 3 masters men and women in the full and half marathon. Age group awards will be mailed to winners once results are final.
(Full and Half) 0-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+
(5K) 14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+
Race photos will be available for purchase following the event. Please check www.missoulamarathon.org for link to purchase photos. There will be free post race photos available in Caras Park following the full and half marathon.
MISSOULA MARATHON, HALF MARATHON, MISSOULA 5K FINISHERS
All finishers of the Missoula Marathon, Half Marathon, and Missoula 5K receive a technical short-sleeve shirt, a medal, gear bag, excellent post race food provided by the Good Food Store, and more! (No post-race food by GFS in 5K).
LIVE FACEBOOK & TEXT MESSAGE RESULTS
We’re working hard on getting these going. As soon as they’re available there will be links at www.missoulamarathon.org pointing you in the right direction.
RACE DAY DROP-IN CHILDCARE
Missoula Marathon and The Jungle Childcare, at The PEAK Health and Wellness Center Downtown, are excited to announce the availability of drop in childcare on Marathon Sunday, July 13, from 4:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Children must be between the ages of 12 months and 12 years. Registration must be completed by July 11. For details, click here.
Wheelchairs and hand cycles are welcome to participate in the Full and Half Marathon. The course is not closed to traffic and the Full and Half Marathon share much of the same course. Due to safety concerns with these unique course circumstances, we have some safety rules that will be strictly enforced.
Rules and Procedures
- There is combined limit of 8 wheelchairs and hand cycles participants for the Full Marathon distance. There is not a limit on the Half Marathon participation. Registration for both events will close on July 6th in order to line up resources; transportation, signage, toilet facilities, etc.
- Wheelers must not exceed speed of 12 MPH the last approximately 11 miles of Full and Half Marathon beginning at River Pines Road. There will be signage at the point that speed is to be dropped to 12 MPH. Speed will be monitored throughout the course with the split timing mats.
- Wheeler participants shall only pass foot runners or other wheeler participants on the foot runner or wheeler’s left side.
- Wheelers must remain within the designated course boundaries at all times and may not go outside cones or otherwise leave to course to pass other participants.
- Foot runners and authorized vehicles have the right-of-way at all times. Wheeler participants must yield the right-of-way to foot runners and to course vehicles. This will be strictly enforced.
- All participants must complete the course in 7.5 hours.
- Helmets are required.
- Wheelers are required to have a 6ft flag on their wheelchair and hand cycle. Wheelers will need to provide flag.
- There will be NO passing on the paved trail that passes underneath Reserve St. There will be signage posted in this area.
- Wheelers will start ten minutes prior foot runners in both events. Start time will be 5:50am. Each participant must check in with start line official 15 minutes before the start. You will not be allowed to start unless you have checked in with start line official!
- A.D.A. complaint buses are available to the start lines if needed. Wheelers can be taken to both start lines with personal vehicles if they choose. Parking and ride specifics will be posted the week of the race.
- A.D.A. compliant facilities will available at the start line and finish area.
- There is accessible lodging for wheelers at the U of M Campus. Please call Robin at (406) 243-2612 for more info or to make a reservation.